Drinking a warm Dr. Pepper

Coffee Beans

I am sitting here, drinking a warm Diet Dr. Pepper, trying to relax a bit and calm myself down.

This morning, I wake up, and I’m feeling very groggy. Angie and I were out until 3:30am, and it’s not even 11 yet.

I have a little bit of breakfast, but what I really need is caffeine. Of course, we don’t have any in the house.

We have some black tea and some Oolong tea, but I want something with a bit more caffeine in it to wake me up. The only coffee we have left is decaf. Useless.

I change into some jeans, set the alarm, get in the car, and head out to HEB. I want some coffee to wake up with and some Diet Dr. Pepper to drink later.

I guess everyone must be coming from or going to church or something, because it takes 5 fucking minutes for me to make a single left turn.

I arrive at HEB and walk to the coffee section. I get myself a bag of French Vanilla beans and put them into the grinder. I set the grinder to “espresso”, place the bag under the spout, and press the start button. The machine starts. Nothing comes out.

“Maybe it’s jammed,” I think to myself. So I turn the knob to the left, selecting a courser grind in the hopes that the machine will un-jam itself. Coffee finally starts coming out, in what appears to be a fine powder. A few seconds later, the coffee coming out of the machine is smoking and the outside of the bag feels hot to the touch.

I notify an HEB employee. He says he’ll have someone look at the machine and that I should just use the other grinder. I start over again with the other grinder.

I set the machine to “espresso”, pour in my beans, place the bag under the spout, and press the start button. Coffee comes out!

A few seconds later, smoke once again starts emanating from my bag of ground coffee.

I give up on getting coffee. I realize I could get pre-ground coffee, but by this point I just want to get my soda and go home.

I give up and head for the section where the 24-packs of soda are. The soda aisle is in the middle of the store, but they only have 12-packs there. The 24-packs are in the far back corner of the store for some reason.

I pick up a case of soda by the handle-hole in the top and begin walking to the checkout area. About half way there, the handle-hole rips open, and the case of soda falls to the floor. One of the ends of the case pops open like a mail box and 21 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper roll out in to the center aisle of the store.

I start to pick up the cans and an HEB employee who has stopped to help offers to go grab another case from the back of the store for me. I tell her I can just got get it myself. She carries the exploded case away and I head back to the far corner of the store.

This time I hold the case with both arms in front of me, elbows at a 90 degree angle. I make it to the checkout without any further episodes, and head out to my car.

As I’m opening the door, some guy decides that it would be a good idea to fly past me into a parking space catercorner to the one I’m in, coming within an inch or so of removing my door as it swung open.

As I head home, I stop abruptly to avoid running through a yellow light, though I probably should have kept going since it had just turned yellow.

The next light I come to is yellow when I get to it as well. Given what happened with the previous one, I decide that I can make it through this one. I am proven wrong as the light turns red at the same time I am barely entering the intersection. Fuck, I guess I gauged that one incorrectly.

I pull into my driveway frustrated by the events of the last few minutes, still groggy and now wishing that I had gotten some pre-ground coffee after all.

I come inside, disarm the alarm, place the Diet Dr. Pepper in to the refrigerator, pull out a can.

I crack open the can and sit down at my computer to vent my frustrations to the world.

Man, this would be so much better if it were cold.

blog comments powered by Disqus